Tuesday 11 April 2006

The bookshop stands on a quiet street in an as yet unknown corner of Oxfordshire. We will call it Mostly Books because of the great number of books which make the surrounding shelves their home, and rest on the tables between cups of freshly-made coffee.

Mostly Books is due to open on 1 July. Nicki and Mark, who are setting it up, are blogging about their experiences in the run-up to the launch. Currently they are wondering what books to include in their first consignment of stock.

Lord Alexander's Cipher; or, the Bridekirk Behemoth won't quite be available on 1 July, at least, not this next 1 July, but Flora Thompson's wonderful Larkrise to Candleford (cruelly pastiched above) is a book that no Oxfordshire bookseller should be without.

With all the talk of the Wottakars merger, and the rise of Tesco as the biggest bookseller in the country, it is good to see bookselling on a more human scale. I wish them all the luck in the world.

3 comments:

ebbye said...

How wonderful!
I am a second hand book shop owner in Sydney so maybe I could help you out with books that sell here? I lean towards a bit quirky,unusual and bizarre books and find that some books sell over and over while others sit for ages!
One tip I have learnt is that when a movie comes out, people want the book like In Cold Blood and Memoirs of a Geisha etc
I also find....
email me!
:)

Anonymous said...

Picked up on Larkrise immediately, where is this wonderful shop to be?
As a Buckinghamshire dweller I will no doubt be able to visit and add to my collection and my delightful debutants!

Stephen said...

I wish I knew where the shop is to be, but it's all rather hush-hush at the moment. "Oxfordshire" is all I know.

As a Gloucestershire dweller I am hoping that it will be on the Western side of the county. Chipping Norton would be a lot closer than, say, Sonning Common.