Monday 10 July 2006

Wenlock is almost a year old. I was reminded of this by the reappearance on the television of : the Professionals. Tonight's opener pitted the Bodleian Library against the Society of Antiquaries of London.

The team from the Bodleian felt that they had a point to prove, as the 2004 series had been won by their bitter rivals at the British Library, who had, to add insult to injury, beaten the Bod's near neighbours, the Oxford University Press (in fact a team all from the Oxford English Dictionary) in the final. Winning by 190 points to 80, the Bodleian are, probably, on track to get through to the semifinals.

Next Monday will see another organisation enter the lists with a point to prove. The Crime Writers' Association will be following in the footsteps of the last year. It is a bold move on their part.

Should they fail to make it all the way through to the final, they may have to endure comments along the lines of "crime writers aren't as smart as romantic novelists". Should this come to pass, however, I'm sure that it would be character-building.

I certainly wish the CWA the best of luck, and I hope that they do well. But not too well.


Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was because of your appearance on University Challenge, I found out about this website.It is the best website I have ever found!
Unfortunately, we have had a virus on the computer and it has wiped off everthing I have written.Some might say that's a good thing!
But I am really glad I found you. I love reading your page everyday. Will you be appearing on University Challenge again? I keep looking for you.