Friday 12 August 2005

Jan Jones has had a look at my synopsis, and has managed a rewrite to include the elephant. She has also had a go at Lord Alexander's surname on the grounds that nobody can take a hero seriously if every time they read his name, they immediately start thinking about weatherproof jackets...
It is 1809 and Charlotte Everson enlivens her days by devouring gothic romances. Which may be why she acts in a manner disconcertingly contrary to everything counter-espionage agent Lord Alexander Hawkmead expects from a country miss. But really, when there is a French spy ring and an elephant involved, a girl isn’t going to meekly sit at home trimming bonnets, is she? Especially when Lord Alexander is clearly going about his mission in completely the wrong way.
I like it, and if I slip it into Laurie's course as All My Own Work, nobody is going to know any better, are they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they might be surprised at you for splitting an infinitive :)

Simon Roy Hughes said...

I did react to the second sentence, which begins "Which may be why...". I'm not one of those so-called grammaticians, who throws her skirt over her head every time someone breaks a "rule", but it should be possible to recast the first two sentences to prevent the jar I - and no doubt others with me - experience.